Functional Skills: Functional Skills in English and Maths
On programme duration: Minimum of 15 Months
Who is it for? any employee involved in dealing with either internal or external customers to a business.
This qualification is ideal for those looking to develop their skills within the Customer Service, whether they are new employees who want to learn and progress, or existing employees who are looking to retrain or upskill. It is perfect for employees who deal with customers through one-off or routine contacts, which could include managing customer queries, dealing with orders/payments, offering advice, guidance and support, meet-and-greet, sales, fixing problems, aftercare, service recovery or gaining insight through measuring customer satisfaction.
On Programme Training Training and development takes place during this part of the apprenticeship which may include a qualification if it is identified as a requirement in the standard. Formative assessment of skills, knowledge and behaviours is required in the delivery of the standard and this will be outlined in the assessment plan. The apprentice and the employer will need to gather evidence for 20% off-the-job training using a variety of methods including; coaching, mentoring, knowledge workshops, one to one’s, research, on-line learning, role pay, shadowing, industry visits/ conferences, writing assessments/assignment, practical training and preparing for professional discussion.
- Assessment Plan A plan of the apprenticeship on-programme period of learning, development and continuous assessment, managed by the employer and training provider.
- Functional Skills Level 1 and 2 Will be delivered if required, this will include English and Maths.
- End Point Assessment preparation ETS will provide the mock assessment materials, support and guidance, we empower apprentices to structure learning towards the end point assessment format to assure the best chance of success.
Gateway The employer and provider are required to sign-off the apprentice as ready to move on to end-point assessment. To move on to end-point assessment, the apprentice must show evidence of the relevant customer service knowledge, skills and behaviours as set out in the standard and have achieved maths and English at Level 1 and taken the test for Level 2.
End Point Assessment The end-point assessment must demonstrate that the apprentice can perform in the occupation in a fully competent, holistic and productive way. The assessment plan for customer service practitioner has three modes of assessment:
- Apprentice Showcase The apprentice showcase is put together after 12 months of on-programme learning. With guidance the apprentice will select appropriate evidence to demonstrate the minimum requirements of the standard.
- Practical Observation The observation should last about an hour and will enable the apprentice to show their skills, knowledge and behaviour from across the standard to demonstrate genuine and demanding work objectives. Any number of scenarios could be assessed – from handling a general enquiry, dealing with a customer complaint or demonstrating personal organisation.
- Professional Discussion The 60-minute discussion will be against set criteria in the occupational brief. It will be structured to draw out the best of the apprentice’s energy, enthusiasm, competence and excellence.
ETS will support you in the selection and allocation of a single independent assessor to see each apprentice through all modes of assessment and assure consistent quality.
Certification On successful completion, the end-point assessment organisation will apply for the apprenticeship certification. The certificate will then be sent to the apprentice’s employer.
Progression Once the Customer Service Practitioner Level 2 apprenticeship is complete, the learning doesn’t have to stop. ETS offers a full suite of programmes designed to take your apprentice onwards and upwards. Their next step could be Customer Service (Level 3) or Team Leader/Supervisor (Level 3) and on to Operations/ Departmental Manager (Level 5).